Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Deep And Dark December...


Laying Out My Winter Clothes

The grip of Winter brings to mind countless images that take us to different times in our lives. Whether it be a special Christmas, a snowstorm that freed us from school for consecutive days or maybe that unique song that plays in our head as the flakes pile up.

For me nothing sets the mood better than some well chosen Simon & Garfunkel tunes. They mine melancholy as well, if not better, than just about anyone. Everyone has their favorite. The one that “cuts me ’til I cried out” every time though is “The Boxer.” Having once been in New York during Christmas season I’ve come to understand the song in ways I never could have as a thirteen year old buying the single.

The single peaked at #7 in the Spring of 1969 oddly enough. However, some songs take a while to establish their spot in history. In the ensuing years the song has almost become mythic. It’s saga of a restless soul became a metaphoric tale for an all too familiar way of life and a tough as nails city. Depending on their mood on any given night they even throw us an extra verse. Today’s visual aid includes it.